Monday, April 13, 2009

Southwestern Salad with Corn and Avocado

I have been craving salad lately, really yummy salad. This salad has a great homemade dressing and tastes great with tortilla chips and black beans. I made a few changes, so this picture is not quite accurate. Obviously, I switched out the beans, and I don't like raw onions in my salad. I have a little corn and onion saute I have perfected, so I used that in this recipe. Enjoy. Southwestern Salad with Corn and Avocado

1 head romaine lettuce, cut into bit size pieces
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (or pinto)
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
2 avocados, chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (or 1 onion, diced)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro torn into small pieces
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
tortilla chips

1. In a large bowl combine the lettuce, beans, corn avocados, ion, and cilantro.

2. OPTIONAL - I took the corn and diced onion and sauteed them over some olive oil for a few minutes to soften the onion. You can also add some minced garlic for even more flavor. Then add to the salad mix.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle over the salad and toss. Serve with the tortilla chips.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I really don't know why I don't come to this blog more often. Every time I do the receipes look so yummy. I was just on my way home thinking what should I make for dinner tonight. Well now I know. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks

Karen said...

Ok so I didn't make it for dinner tonight because I don't have avocados but as soon as I do I'm making it.

MollyE said...

ok, make sure you buy a real lime and squeeze the jiuce for the dressing. It tastes much better than the fake stuff!!

Karen said...

shoot really? I literally just got back from the grocery store and I bought the fake stuff. Hopefully it will still taste edible. I'm really trying to become a better cook and get new receipes but I guess I need to start with buying the real stuff, it's always better.